Posture Alignment Therapy using The Egoscue Method is in my mind a modern day approach to Hipprocates timeless wisdom.
“Speaking generally, all parts of the body which have function, if used in moderation and exercised in labours to which each is accustomed, become thereby healthy and well developed, and age slowly, but if unused and left idle, they become liable to disease, defective in growth, and age quickly.”
Hippocrates c 460-375 B.C.
Pete Egoscue, figured this out as he worked to overcome chronic pain after being wounded in Vietnam.
Finding himself stuck in the chronic pain cycle, after having surgery and being declared fit to serve again. Without an ability to find the pain relief he needed to do his job, he finally decided there had to be something missing or overlooked in his treatment plan.
There was no medical reason for his constant pain, and yet it roared on until one day he noticed that his body was not adhereing to what we now call "blue-print" design. And from that simple yet profound observation, Posture Alignment Therapy was born. Pete is famous for saying "You know more about your health than anyone in the whole world."
That's what makes postural therapy unique. It's about listening to YOU! As Pete says, "You know more about your body than anyone else"!
Over the past 40 years, Pete's humble oberservations have spurred a revolution of chronic pain relief practitioners through his best-selling books, clinics, and certifiying thousands of Posture Alignment Specialists worldwide through The Egoscue University.
Today, I've put together my top ten Pete Egoscue quotes in the hopes that they encourage and spur you on a belief that you're not broken, and that your body can heal itself if given half a chance. Enjoy!
My Top 10 Favorite Pete Egoscue Quotes:
- It is your birthright to live a pain free and active life without limitations
- Age is not the determining factor in health.
- The body has no design flaws.
- Pain is merely a signal – the bodyʼs voice. It should not be feared and will not if you are listening to your instincts.
- Effective therapies treat the whole body as a unit.
- Your attitude must be positive.
- Thought unexpressed are detrimental to good health.
- Until you recognize the need, the absolute requirement for taking responsibility, you will not succeed. Once you do accept the responsibility, however, the Egoscue Method never fails. Never. No drugs, no surgery, no machines, no miracles. Just You. A normal person, doing normal things.
- The body isn't fragile. It isn't broken. But without enough motion -proper motion -we are all slowly dying in place.
- Children whose movements are limited because they're spending their time in front of computers or televisions are at risk of never fulfilling their potential.
Do you have a favorite Pete Egoscue quote that isn't listed here? We want to hear from you! Please post your favorite quote in the comment box below.
Posted on Tue, April 3, 2012
by Deb Preachuk filed under