At Pain Free Posture MN we proudly offer restorative Pilates programming, including The Pink Ribbon Program. We are dedicated to promoting a healthy lifestyle and positive body image to all breast cancer survivors. Both Postural Therapy and The Pink Ribbon Program and will help stretch and strengthen the shoulder, chest, back, and abdominal muscles, allowing women to regain full range of motion to those areas affected by breast cancer surgery.
This week The Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing (April 2012, Vol. 16 No. 2) pulished an article entitled Pilates For Breast Cancer Survivors: Impact on Physical Parameters and Quality of Life After Mastectomy.
The article discussed how Pilates has often been recommended as a rehabilitative tool to aid breast cancer survivors. Despite little scienific evidence, the authors of the article examined:
- feasibility of a Pilates program in post-mastectomy breast cancer survivors
- measured the impact on physical and psychological parameters
The great news of this study is that statistically significant improvements were reported for:
- shoulder abduction and internal rotation on the affected side
- neck rotation toward the unaffected side
- neck flexion
- affected side arm volume and the interlimb volume discrepancy increased
- improvements reported in quality of life, mood, and body image
To read the article in full please click HERE
If you are a breast cancer survivor looking to start a pilates or restorative postural therapy program, be sure to hire an individual with experience in the field. Under the guidance of a Certified Pink Ribbon Program Post-rehabilitative Breast Cancer Exercise Specialist, we can design a program that is right for you, whether your surgery was recent or several years ago.
Please reach out and CONTACT us if you have any questions.
Posted on Mon, April 16, 2012
by Deb Preachuk filed under