Welcome to January 2017!
Some new changes to share with you all in the Yoga for Athletes Class. This year I'm instituting a consistent routine for the entire month, and will repeat these movements each week so you can:
- Have a way to assess your mobility improvement(s) and
- Measure the improvement/impact on functional strength in workouts
The list of benefits of yoga for CrossFit and ALL athletes is numerous, and irrespective of your sport/activity of choice, all athletes can improve their functional ability by implementing a consistent practice.
The movements for the month of January 2017are:
- Child's Pose (Balasana)
- Child's Pose Side Stretch (Balasana variation)
- Extended Puppy (Uttana Shishasana)
- Cat & Cow (Marjariasana & Bitilasana)
- Wrist Stretches (Hastas)
- Thread the Needle (Parsva Balasana)
- Hero Pose (Virasana)
- Hero Pose with Reverse Prayer Hands (Reverse Anjali Mudra)
- Reverse Table Top (Ardha Purvottanasana)
- Butterfly (Bandhakonasana)
- Extended Butterfly (Baddha Konasana)
- Side Splits (Samakanasana)
- Happy Baby (Ananda Balasana)
- Heron Pose (Krouchasana)
- Reclined Spinal Twist (Supta Matsyendrasana)
- Seated Forward Fold (Paschimottanasana)
- Seated Glute Stretch (Sucirandhrasana)
- Wide Leg Forward Fold (Prasarita Padottanasana) with Shoulder Stretch
- Half Squat (Ardha Malasana)
- Corpse Pose (Savasana)
I've included their traditional Sanskrit names, and for reference, I suggest you look them up using the Yoga Journal Poses page so you can learn more and practice at home on your own.
The routine uses yoga postures (asanas) designed specifically to help you actively recover from the demands of CrossFit (constantly varied functional movements executed at high intensity across broad time and modal domains) movements. By repeating the routine each week for the month of January, you'll have a specific and measurable way to assess your progress in mobility and active recovery.
Yoga For Athletes is every Wednesday morning from 5:15 am - 6:15 pm at CrossFit 5885 (Apple Valley, MN). I also offer pop up classes 2x/month on Sunday evenings at 6:00 pm (message me directly for dates).
Along with your own yoga mat, be sure to bring a yoga block and strap to class to help facilitate alignment and improve your mobility.
This class is part of a CrossFit 5885 membership, and also OPEN to the GENERAL PUBLIC (no membership required, punch passes available). I'd LOVE to have you join us!
If you enjoyed this article PLEASE comment and SHARE!
Stock Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Head Photo Credit: Melissa Thome Photography
Author: Deb Preachuk is a Certified Foundation Training & STOTT Pilates Instructor, Corrective Exercise & Posture Alignment Specialist, and the founder/owner of Pain Free Posture MN.
You can follow Deb on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or subscribe to her YouTube, Pinterest or Instagram pages.
Posted on Wed, January 4, 2017
by Deb Preachuk filed under